Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Building a Foundation

Abbey got the day off yesterday from a lesson while I had my grand daughter (four years old).  It was the first time I haven't worked with her but of course was around cleaning and feeding.  Today she got a quick review of everything and then on to some new things.
I'm asking her to drop her head to pressure on her poll as I take the halter on and off.  I started taking the lead rope around her butt, above her hocks and while I'm on the opposite side, asking her to follow the feel of the rope away from me and in a circle and back to me.  Sometimes this confuses a weanling because they're used to following to the handler, but the pressure is from the opposite side.  Abbey the A student gets it right away!
Since she's comfortable with me rubbing her legs, I asked her to unweight each one and at least rest it on the toe tip or pick it up an inch or two.  I don't want to hold it, I want to release my hand when she softens and gives.  I need to do this before she gets worried and tries to take it away  I also want to put her foot down, not just let go and allow her to put it down.  That way, she won't be so apt to try to take her foot away.  She gave each foot easily and I'll build on that until I can lift them, move them around, take them forward as well as up and then hold them between my legs in the "farrier position."  I know many people expect the farrier to teach this the first time the weanling is trimmed, but that's not his job.  I have too much respect for my farrier and his time to expect him to do that unless we agree in advance and he charges me for the training.  And if your farrier has to do it, he won't have the luxury to take the time to do it as quietly and incrementally.  It's just too time sonsuming.  Sometimes that means the experience isn't all positive for the weanling.   If I have that all done, he can concentrate on his trim and she'll be totally fine and relaxed about it.  I know of horses with MONTHS of under saddle training that have to be sedated to trim or shoe  because no one took the time to teach them having their feet handled was ok. 
Now that Abbey is so much more relaxed about me, I need to be very conscious that she still respects me.  I can't allow nibbling, pushing or "dirty looks."  Since she often approaches me now, I'll have to start establishing how close I allow her to come.  If she comes too close, I'll back her up a step or two before I rub her.  I'll start to ask her to turn away from me when I'm leading her by stepping toward her shoulder so she understands to move out of my space, just as a dominant horse would expect her to move out of their way.  It's easy to encourage the comfort and confidence and not keep in mind the respect. Horses really read body language well, so we need to be conscious of what we're "saying" with ours.  They pick up on the most subtle of clues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment