Total Pageviews

Friday, December 3, 2010

Finally learning to exhale......

After a couple of days with the rope around her neck while I rub on Abbey, she's beginning to close her eyes, work her mouth and give a sigh or two.  I've started rubbing her mouth and muzzle a little in preparation for worming.  She needs to get started on a worming regimen as soon as possible.  Babies are "worm magnets" in the words of my vet.  Tomorrow, I'll use an empty wormer syringe and rub her muzzle with that and maybe get her to mouth it.  After that, I'll put a little Karo syrup in one and put a little dab in her mouth.  If she's like my previous weanlings, she'll never even need a halter on to be wormed after she starts to like that syrup.  My pony insists on being first when I come into the dry lot with a pocket full of wormers!
I'll  begin to give a lot of attention to rubbing her legs working down to her feet.  She isn't in need of a trim now, thanks to lots of movement and plenty of room with her mom,. but the earlier I start, the easier it will be--another reason I like to have the weanlings prior to six months.  Even though she's almost eight months, her feet won't need much attention other than learning to stand for having her foot held, moved, rasped and held between my knees.  The feet don't grow very much until the daylight hours get longer. 
So for now, I'll build on the leading.  She's getting much better and is following the feel of the rope around her neck pretty much directly straight ahead.  I'll soon start rubbing a rope halter all over her, over her nose, ears, eyes, etc.  I'm in no hurry to get one on her, because she's doing so well with the neck rope, but it's always safest to be able to halter a baby in case they get sick or hurt and need to be doctored.  I also like to start trailer loading early for that reason, but we have almost a foot of snow on the ground and ice under that.  Just not ideal conditions so I'll wait for better weather.
If anyone is curious as to Abbey's lineage, you can see her pedigree at    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/shining+abbey+roan  (Anyone else old enough  to recognize that reference?)

No comments:

Post a Comment