Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Yikes!

Three friends came to see Abbey today, and she was clearly surprised I'm not the only human in existence!  She was ready to flee!  She did show some pretty impressive cow horse moves!  After her initial fear, she remembered to turn and face and then she really would have liked to approach and see the new beings, but it was too cold for all of them to stand while she got her courage.  When it's warmer, I'll recruit people to come see her.  She was at liberty today, so she had the opportunity to leave and did but she then came back.  In another week, she'll be more curious than scared.
I put a halter on her  later in the day, which was a non-issue after rubbing the rope all over her face, eyes, ears, etc.  The feel is different than the rope--more poll pressure and new pressure on the nose, so she had to figure that out, but it only took a minute.  She's giving her front feet nicely to rope pressure and I'll work on the rears as well.    Every day she is getting more relaxed about the over all handling and for now that's what I'll consider progress.  She's well on her way to knowing the minimum stuff she needs to know as a  weanling.  She's learned small skills, but for her it's been a huge change and very gratifying for me!

2 comments:

  1. Julie, I'm so impressed with how far Abbey's come in such a short time. I hope anyone new to working with babies will find and read your blog!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara, I love working with the babies!

    ReplyDelete